During my wee hiatus from the blog last week in which I had to deal with some family issues going on well north of the city, I was forced to drive more in one weekend than in the 15 years preceding it.
Perhaps I’m just naive, but what is happening on the roadways these days made me feel somewhat like this:
Now, given that I don’t drive all that frequently (perhaps once every two months!) and that until four years ago I had not driven at all since I moved to Toronto, I started to think that perhaps the rules of the road have changed since I took my driver’s test some four score and seven 20 plus years ago.
So, I decided to check out this handy Ministry of Transport reference guide which I read back in 1986 and then threw out:
However, I must say that the MTO guide did not really describe what I’ve seen happening on the roads of late. So, I’ve begun to think that there must be another Driver’s Handbook out there – probably titled “Wankers of the World Unite” or something along those lines!
Anyway, the apparent new Rules of the Road raise some questions for stupid little me:
- why do the car makers continue to put turn signals in cars if no one actually has to use them?!
This one I actually find very confusing because they actually have these digital signs on the 401 now which flash such useful information as “Don’t drink and drive”, “Follow Ye Not Too Closely” and… my favourite … “Use appropriate signals when changing lanes”. I actually drove right underneath the latter sign about 30 seconds before being cut off by a bastard driver who – of course – had not used the signals. To cut him some slack, though, JJ told me that I had missed the part on that sign which read “…except for the guy in the white hatchback”.
- when did they start letting you make a left hand turn from the right hand lane on a red light?
- are there unwritten rules as to which people/vehicles those signs which say “Turn ye not left here between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.” do not apply to? If so, where do I register?
- where the posted speed limit is 100 km/h and I’m in the slow lane on the 400 highway and doing 120 just to keep up with the Joneses, why do the people behind me think that I should actually be doing 150 km/h and honk at me and give me the finger then zoom past?
- is it actually now legal to drive while doing your makeup, consulting your GPS system and talking on your handheld mobile phone?
- is there some new rule that says you have to let in those people who speed to the front of the merging lane when the traffic is backed up and then try to butt in?
And, one last but very important question indeed:
- when in God’s name are ye gonnae learrrrn how to parallel park, lassie?!?!?