PLEASE NOTE: the auction/fundraiser in this post is open only to my work colleagues (and their friends, if they should happen to have any extremely wealthy friends…). Apologies to anyone else for any inconvenience in having to slog through a second Brouhaha post – although who wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to see my fabulous goodies a second time, really?!
Well, it’s that time of year and I’ve been
excavating the spare room and trying to adhere to our new Clean Desk policy at the office.
In this regard, I’ve come across some stuff I’ve made over the past couple of years that are not getting the use they so richly deserve. So, I thought I’d offer them to you, my biggest fans.
(At a price, of course – because nothing in life is free!)
So, welcome to the First Annual Brouhaha Spring Cleaning Auction/Fundraiser!!!
- Mother’s Day is right around the corner. Stuck for gift ideas? Doesn’t your mom deserve a one-of-a-kind handmade original which will be worth thousands one day? Huh? Huh?
- Any Jewish or Eastern Orthodox people on your gift list for Passover/Easter?
- Skip all those May 2-4 Weekend/Week/Month sales at the Bay and Sears. Your one-stop shop is right here!!!
- Oh, and let’s not forget Father’s Day coming up in June. It’s never too early…
And two thirds of the money will go to the New Outlook program – right here in the building! So you can feel good about giving on so many levels…
Here’s how it works!
- The auction starts today, Tuesday 15 April 2008. (And yes, I know it’s PayDay for most of us. There is a method to my madness.)
- Check out the items below. Most of the items (aside from #2, #3 and # ) are available in my office for viewing, so if you’re in the building, come on by!
- If one or more tickle your fancy, Email me at the work Email address or (if you happen to be in the building) phone me on ext. 5411 with your bid. Each item is numbered below for your convenience.
- Please note that I have put a minimum bid on some items. Those items are all originals, and I thought this fair.
- Each day, I will post such bids as I should get underneath each item. The bids will be anonymised, rest assured. So, keep checking back!
- Bids will close on St. George’s Day (a big Greek National Drinking Day, although sadly not this year because it’s during Holy Week): Wednesday 23 April 2008 at 5:00 p.m.
- All items will be delivered on Thursday 24 April or during the week of 28 April. I’m flexible regarding payment terms.
- What should you bid, you ask? Whatever your little heart desires – and whatever your conscience can live with considering that 2/3 of the money raised will go toward helping street youth at risk. The other 1/3 will go toward the support of the local artisan scene*!
* the Benevolent Association for Provision of Lace Yarn to KB
Oh, by the way, please do not feel any pressure because I’ve linked you to this site. I won’t be offended if you
sniff don’t sob bid. Really, I won’t.
(In all seriousness, if you want to bid, great. If not, please don’t feel you’ve got to or anything silly like that… but do feel free to pass along the link and my Email addy to any friends you think like this sort of thing!)
Please also note that everything below has been very, very gently used. Some items, only once or twice.
And now… (drumroll, please…):
The fabulous works of Brouhaha!
(I’ve added links to the titles of some of the pieces – click on those if you want some info about “the making of…”!)
1. Homage to a Gerbera
Highest Bid to date: $50.00
And check out the pretty opal glass!
3. Crazy Melon Plate (vegan!)
Minimum bid: $40.00.
4. Crazy Paving Felted Bulletin Board
Minimum bid: $30.00
5. Fuzzy Plaid Bag
Repurposed sweater from Goodwill, felted and sewn. Great for trips to the market – and reusable ad infinitum! Forget those ones they sell at the grocery store. It’s about the same size as those ones they’re selling at the LCBO, combining strength and lightness. Snap it up as someone who shall remain nameless already has their eye on it… Made in Summer 2006.
Minimum bid: $15.00
6. Spring Has Sprung! purse
Repurposed sweater from Goodwill, crochet edging and handle, felted and embroidered with funky button applique. You must know some fashion queen who’d like this one! The colours make me happy… small handbag size. Made in Spring 2007.
Minimum bid: $25.00.
7. Memories of Cage Au Lait – A moebius scarf
Hey, if it works for Galen Weston…!! The scarf is lighter in colour than shown in the photo, hence the name. It is knitted in the form of a Moebius strip… remember those from math class? Can be worn as a headdress or a scarf – very versatile. Knitted by me over the Atlantic in December 2007!!! 50% wool, 50% silk blend.
Minimum bid: $40.00 (that’s what the wool cost, plus three bucks for my labour. Not bad, eh?)
8. Silk Garden – Moebius scarf
Minimum bid: $25.00 (that’s what the wool cost, plus three bucks for my labour. Not bad, eh?)
Mirror retrieved from the trash (cut, not broken!), sea glass, glass beads, broken crockery (OPA!). The link above in the title shows better close-ups and perhaps a bit more than you want to know about the artisan’s thought process… don’t say I didn’t warn you!
Now, if I were a really deep and pretentious artiste-type person, I would tell you that the symbolism of this piece involves a deep sociocultural commentary on the fate of many young women who spend hours on end looking at themselves in department store mirrors, hating what they say, and feeling fractured and very blue as a result…
The link also explains the title. November 2007.
Highest Bid to date: $100.00
The following are not original patterns of mine. So, no minimum bid.
10. Santa Fe Felted Handbag
11. Little Slip of a Thing Felted Handbag
12. French Market Felted Bag
13. Periwinkle Bag
Great fun for an afternoon garden party. I think the right brooch or pin would work wonders – if I find it at the Goodwill before the end of the auction, I’ll throw it in. How about that!
14. Buttonhole Bag
Anyway, I hope you’ve all enjoyed viewing the Brouhaha Auction Gallery. Now, what are you waiting for…!! Get onto that Outlook and start bidding, already!!!
Thanks in advance… and happy day!